This is a page about the character, Chomp. If you want his species, see Triceratops.
Chomp (Gabu) is a Triceratops and is a faithful companion of Max. He is voiced by Asuka Tanii in the Japanese version and Kether Donohue in the English Version.
- Species: Triceratops
- Name: Chomp (ガブ Gabu)
- Meaning of Name: Always Biting
- Owner: Max (D-Team)
- Attribute: Lightning
- Sign: Scissors
- Power: 1600
- Technique: 700
- Scissors (Critical): 690
- Rock/Paper: 430
- Super Crisis Type (Japanese 2007 Series & promo edition; Taiwanese Series 2)
- Strength Type (Japanese Happy Set Meal Edition combined card)
- Card Rarity: Gold
- Arcade Nickname/Catchcopy:
- Japanese: リュウタだいすき (Love Max Most)
- Altered Forms: Super Chomp, DinoTector Chomp
Like all anime dinosaurs except Black Tyrannosaurus, his card was only available in Japanese and Taiwanese versions but can be used in the English arcade.
- 2007 2nd Edition (AN01-竜; Super Crisis Type)
- 2007 3rd Edition (AN07-竜; Super Crisis Type)
- Shogakukan's 1st Grade Primary School magazine promo edition (AN15-竜; Super Crisis Type)
- Non-sale McDonald Happy Set Meal Edition (Combined Card CC-01; combined with character Max and 3 moves: Lightning Strike, Electric Charge & Plasma Anchor; Strength Type)
- Series 2 2nd Edition (AN01-龍; Super Crisis Type)
- Series 2 3rd Edition (AN07-龍; Super Crisis Type)
- Name: Chomp (Gabu in Japanese)
- Attribute: Lightning
- Owner: Max Taylor (D-Team)
- Place Appeared: near Sanjo City, Japan
- Debut: Prehistory in the Making
- Dinosaurs Defeated: Terry, Spiny, Tank, Saltasaurus, Utahraptor, Amargasaurus, Altirhinus, Baryonyx, Deinonychus, Stegosaurus, Mapusaurus, Pentaceratops, Megalosaurus, Saurophaganax (with Ace), Torvosaurus (with Ace), Majungasaurus, Piatnitzkysaurus, Yangchuanosaurus, Shantungosaurus, Tupuxuara (by defeating Shantungosaurus), Achelousaurus, Lanzhousaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Isisaurus (with Ace), Rajasaurus, Anchiceratops, Gigas (with assistance), Cryolophosaurus , Maximus (with assistance), Armatus (with assistance), Apatosaurus (with assistance)
- Altered Forms: DinoTector Chomp
- Other: Chomp is named is derived from his habit of biting Max a lot.
- Electric Charge
- Gather lightning in your body and ram your opponent! Contained in his Card Capsule, it was Chomp's first Move Card and was often used in season 1, but was not seen again in season 2.
- Lightning Spear
- Throw your opponent in the air, then ram into it and grind them with electricity! It was found after Styracosaurus' defeat, having spilled out of its Card Capsule before the dinosaur activated.
- Lightning Strike
- Shoot a beam of lightning at your opponent! This is Chomp's most commonly-used Move in the first series after obtaining it, likely coming from the reclaimed card-folio.
- Tag Team
- This was used once, but not in battle. It summons Pawpawsaurus, which will defend you from the opposing attack. Chomp won it back from the Alpha Gang in Temple Tempest.
- Thunder Bazooka
- Chomp jumped into the air, then spun as lightning gathered around his body, then slammed into his opponent. This was first used against Terry in Ruff and Ready after Terry defeated Iguanodon, jumping over Volcano Burst in the process. It likely came from the card-folio.
- Thunder Storm Bazooka (Fusion Move)
- Chomp spins and rams his opponent surrounded by wind and lightning! A combination of his Thunder Bazooka and Ace's Cyclone. It was first used to defeat Seth's altered Saurophaganax.
- Plasma Anchor
- Swing your opponent around and into the ground with an electric anchor! It was created by Dr. Z to be strong enough to destroy Spectral Armor, and was first used against Majungasaurus.
- Ultimate Thunder
- Lightning bolts frame Chomp's path, with the final bolt stunning his enemy. Then, Chomp's tail glows, and he shoots forward into his opponent, tossing them away with a ball of electricity! Created by Dr. Z alongside the Element Boosters, it was Chomp's second season finishing move; however, it can be dodged by very agile dinosaurs like Cryolophosaurus.
- Gatling Spark
- Chomp pricked Mapusaurus repeatedly with electrified horns, then knocked him away. He later used against Terry. Likely provided by Dr. Z.
- Thunder Driver
- Chomp tossed the opponent into the air, then leaped above it and drilled it into the ground. It was first to defeat Gavro's Baryonyx. Likely provided by Dr. Z.
- Final Thunder
- Chomp flung Cryolophosaurus into the air, then hit him with a bolt of lightning from his horns. He then launched seven smaller bolts of electricity rapid-fire into Cryolophosaurus in midair, defeating him when he hit the ground. Provided by Dr. Z specifically to defeat Cryolophosaurus after Ultimate Thunder failed.
- Attribute: Lightning
- Sign: Rock
- Power: 800 (700 in DKDS) (Small form) / 1500 (Battle Mode)
- Level: 1 (Small form) / - (Battle Mode)
- Life: 0 (Small form) / 3 (Battle Mode)
- Card Code: DKCG-151/160, DKCG-152/160, DKTB-084/100, DKAA-083/100, DKAA-084/100, DKBD-083/100, DKBD-084/100, DKBD-099/100, DKDS-083/100, DKTA-083/100, SAS-087/100
- Card Rarity: Common (Small form; all) / Gold Rare (Battle Mode; DKCG, DKAA), Silver Rare (Battle Mode; DKBD), Colossal Rare (Battle Mode; DKBD)
- Other: Chomp was introduced alongside Terry in the Base Set before the other Special Dinosaurs, only having a Small form in Colossal Team Battle. While he continued having Small forms in every deck, Battle Mode was replaced by Dinotector starting in Dinotector Showdown. A player can only include Chomp in their deck if their Character card is Max or The D-Team.
- [D-Team Slash] (DKCG, DKTB, DKAA, DKBD, DKDS)
- You can only Dino Slash "Chomp (Battle Mode)" by placing it on top of this Dinosaur.
- [Pinch Hitter] (DKTB)
- During your turn, when one of your other Dinosaurs battles, you can send this Dinosaur to your discard pile. If you do, use this Dinosaur's Rock-Paper-Scissors icon to decide which Dinosaur has to use a Move first.
- [Assist] (DKAA)
- When you Dino Slash this Dinosaur from your hand, all of your other Special Dinosaurs in play gain +200 Power until the end of the turn. (You can only use 1 [Assist] ability per turn.)
- [Elemental Boost: Grass] (DKBD)
- If you have a Grass Dinosaur in play when you Dino Slash this Dinosaur, draw 1 card.
- [Dinotector On] (DKDS, DKTA, SAS)
- If your Turn Counter is 4 or higher, you can Dino Slash "Chomp (Dinotector)" by placing it on top of this Dinosaur.
- [Special Assist] (DKTA)
- Lightning Special Dinosaurs can use this card as a Super Move that gives +500 Power.
- [D-Team Assist] (SAS)
- When you Dino Slash this Dinosaur, you can reveal your hand. If you do and there are no Dinosaurs, choose a Special Dinosaur from your deck and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.
- [Lightning Master] (Battle Mode) (DKCG, DKAA)
- This Dinosaur can use all Lightning Super Moves.
- [Shockwave] (Battle Mode) (DKCG)
- When this Dinosaur uses a Super Move, it gains an extra +500 Power for that battle.
- [Loyal] (Battle Mode) (DKAA)
- While your Character is face up, this Dinosaur's Power is 1700 (from 1500).
- [Fusion Master] (Battle Mode) (DKBD)
- When this Dinosaur uses a Fusion Move, it gains an extra +300 Power.
- Attribute: Lightning
- Other: Chomp can by accessed in the DS Game by putting a specific code on the Stone Circle after beating Dr. Z with his Tyrannosaurus, Mapusaurus, and Saurophaganax if the player is Max.
Chomp was the first dinosaur to be activated onscreen, and likely the second to be activated in the present day. One night, while his soon-to-be master, Max Taylor, was sleeping, a meteor fell through the sky in a nearby forest, waking him up. The next morning, Max and his friends Rex Owen and Zoe Drake went to the forest to investigate the crash site, each finding a Stone—Lightning (Max), Wind (Rex), Grass (Zoe)—and Max finding Chomp's card and the Electric Charge Move Card in an open Dinosaur Card Capsule. Max accidentally summons him, soon learning how to summon Chomp's chibi mode, who quickly bites Max's nose, earning himself the name "Chomp". Later, Chomp is attacked by Terry and the Alpha Gang; Max uses Reese's new Dino Holder invention to summon Chomp full size and defeats Terry with Electric Charge, Chomp then collapsing from exhaustion.
Chomp becomes the most commonly used main dinosaur for the D-Team, taking part in many battles and being summoned at least once in all but 3 episodes. He racks up and cycles between using 4 Super Moves, eventually taking part in the first Fusion Move, Thunder Storm Bazooka. Despite collapsing from exhaustion after several early battles, he soon becomes the strongest and sturdiest D-Team dinosaur, and perhaps main dinosaur overall.
Throughout the season, he has the habit of befriending fellow Lightning Dinosaurs instead of fighting them, with only one exception; this, however, let Styracosaurus blindside him when it was put under Alpha Gang control. He also has a habit of getting distracted and wandering away from the D-Team, getting lost in several episodes in city and jungle alike.
He is the only main dinosaur not to take part in the final battle against the Black T-Rex, Max instead pursuing Seth. Accidentally dropping his Dino Holder outside an electric cage, Max tosses Chomp's card at it, but summons his chibi form. Chomp bites Seth's hand to stop him from fixing the malfunctioning time machine, letting a vortex open and pull Seth in, the rest of the D-Team and their allies arriving in time to help Max keep Chomp from falling in as well.
…but the timeship is quickly forced to return to the present by the attacking Spectral Space Pirates, reuniting Chomp and Max. As the timeship flies uncontrollably after the Pirates, who captured the D-Teams' parents, he briefly meets a herd of wild Triceratops in the Cretaceous Period, protecting them from Terry, but is forced by Max to retreat as the dinosaur-killing asteroid crashes into the Earth.
Chomp continues to be the D-Team's star player for the second season, being summoned in all but 1 episode and rarely being defeated, only falling to Lexovisaurus, once to Gigas, and being forced to retreat from Cryolophosaurus. He is the first dinosaur to use Dr. Z's new Element Boosters to become his DinoTector Armor form and use his Ultimate Move, even managing to help defeat two Spectral Armor Dinosaurs without armor himself. He acquires a total of 5 new Super Moves from the "reformed" Dr. Z, including the only Move Card designed to be better than an Ultimate Move.
With the other main dinosaurs, he takes part in the final battle against the Dark Pterosaur in his DinoTector Armor, using Lightning Strike in a Fusion Move to break through its outer layer and then defeat Armatus and Maximus, and using Ultimate Thunder to help defeat Brontikens. However, as he was summoned with Seth's copied Stones to take part, he was forever locked from being summoned as a chibi again, a condition begrudgingly agreed to. He and the other dinosaurs were again taken back to the future, this time on the reclaimed Space Pirate Ship.
Chomp's Japanese name, Gabu, is an allusion to the Japanese word "gabu gabu," which means to "chomp" or "nibble," in reference to Chomp's tendency to bite anything (especially Max's nose). The 4Kids translation kept the meaning of the name.
Friendly and curious, sometimes to a fault.
Relationship with Max
He and Max are perfect partners, similar in so many ways…including that time they both got enraged at well-fed opponents when their own lunches had been stepped on by a dinosaur to the point of defeating two enemies in one attack.
- Max's arcade comments:
- Original: 何でもガブガブかんじゃうイタズラ恐竜だけど、どんな恐竜にも負けないファイトを持ってるぜ！
- Translation: Although he only knows to practical jokes and biting, his power cannot be look upon down!
- Chomp's frill typically glows with a rainbow spectrum when he uses a Lightning Move. As Torosaurus's frill also did this, the trait may be held by all Lightning Dinosaurs, though this is unclear as these are the only two to use Lightning Super Moves in the anime.
- Chomp is seen biting Max repeatedly in his debut, which is how his name was derived.
- Chomp has run away several times for various reasons, oftentimes to chase after his ceratopsid cousins.
- It appears that Chomp has a strong rivalry with Terry, since they are the Alpha Gang's and the D-Team's main dinosaurs.
- Chomp's species is left ambiguous, although he may be based off the formerly recognized Triceratops species T. maximus. (Which would be ironic, as Max's full name is "Maximus".)
- Chomp's coloration is unusual, being orange while the arcade game Triceratops was gray. This change was probably present so his color could match his Element, as most of the other main dinosaurs' colorations at least vaguely match their Elements.
- Chomp is one of the most notable dinosaurs in the show to fight his cousins, though he befriends most of them during Season 1.
- In the English version, Chomp's chibi form is "voiced" by Kether Donohue, who also voices Zoe Drake.
- Chomp is the only dinosaur to use all the Moves of his element shown in the anime.
- Chomp appears summoned out into his full-sized version at least once in every episode except four: episodes 9, 21, 47, and 67.
- Chomp's roar is used for several other Lightning Dinosaurs on the show, specifically Torosaurus (mixed with another stock roar), Diceratops, Achelousaurus, the second Pentaceratops, and Maximus (shortened and slightly altered).
- As a chibi Chomp's eyes are darkish blue, but when he transforms into his full-size his eyes turn brown.
- Chomp is the strongest dinosaur on the D-Team, as he has withstood attacks stronger than even the Alpha Gang's strongest dinosaur, Terry, could not withstand (e.g. Moves from the Secret Dinosaurs). By this example, it shows Chomp's caliber and determination to be quite high. (Although there are some exceptions, like in Dueling Dinos, in which Chomp collapsed even though the Saurophaganax's attack had barely grazed him.)
- Each and every dinosaur Chomp has defeated was by using Move Cards. This may suggest that Chomp is rather weak fighter without a Move Card (e.g. as observed in many fights with Terry, he's always on the losing side before the use of a Move Card, like shown in Prehistory in the Making, Battle at the Pyramids, etc.).
- Terry and Chomp are the only dinosaurs to be 'saved' by other dinosaurs from being defeated, Terry was saved by Spiny and Tank from Armatus's Spectral Stinger and Maximus's Spectral Punisher, and Chomp by Paris from Terry's Neck Crusher.
- Chomp seems to be spiritually linked to his owner, Max Taylor in their relationship and emotions. This has been shown frequent times in the series, as Chomp would seem to sense his owner in danger, and when Max gets enraged this highly motivates Chomp, highly increasing his strength and attacks to the point to take down two opponents at once. This might be a parallel to relation/partnership with Ash Ketchum and his Pokémon Pikachu from Pokémon, as the characters share the same voice actor and own an electric type monster, as well as many other similarities between the shows.
|p · e · t||Main Dinosaurs|
|D-Team:||Chomp (Max) · Ace (Rex) · Paris (Zoe)|
|Alpha Gang:||Terry · Spiny · Tank|
|Spectral Space Pirates:||Brontikens (Spectre) · Gigas (Gavro) · Armatus (Foolscap) · Maximus (Sheer) · Eocarcharia (Goma)|
|Seth:||Saurophaganax · Black Tyrannosaurus · Cryolophosaurus|
|p · e · t||Lightning Anime Dinosaurs|
|Season 1:||Chomp · Styracosaurus · Anchiceratops · Torosaurus · Pentaceratops|
|Season 2:||Chomp · Chomp/Armor · Diceratops · Diceratops/Armor · Achelousaurus · Achelousaurus/Armor · Pentaceratops · Pentaceratops/Armor · Pachyrhinosaurus · Pachyrhinosaurus/Armor · Anchiceratops · Anchiceratops/Armor · Maximus/Armor|
|p · e · t||Lightning Dinosaurs|
|Normal:||Achelousaurus · Albertaceratops · Anchiceratops · Arrhinoceratops · Brachyceratops · Centrosaurus · Chasmosaurus · Diceratops · Einiosaurus · Eucentrosaurus · Monoclonius · Pachyrhinosaurus · Pentaceratops · Styracosaurus · Torosaurus · Triceratops · Udanoceratops · Zuniceratops|
|Altered/Armored:||Achelousaurus/Armor · Anchiceratops/Armor · Anchiceratops/Super · Arrhinoceratops/Alpha · Brachyceratops/Super · Chasmosaurus/Alpha · Chomp/Armor · Chomp/Super · Diceratops/Armor · Diceratops/Super · Einiosaurus/Alpha · Eucentrosaurus/Super · Maximus · Maximus/Armor · Pachyrhinosaurus/Armor · Pentaceratops/Armor · Pentaceratops/Black · Torosaurus/Super · Triceratops/Alpha · Triceratops/Armor · Triceratops/Super|
|Main:||Chomp · Maximus|
|p · e · t||Gold Rare Arcade Dinosaurs|
|Fire:||Tyrannosaurus (1st) · Mapusaurus (2nd)|
|Water:||Spinosaurus (1st) · Ampelosaurus (2nd) · Isisaurus (3rd)|
|Lightning:||Styracosaurus (1st) · Pentaceratops (2nd)|
|Earth:||Saichania (1st) · Euoplocephalus (2nd) ·|
|Grass:||Parasaurolophus (1st) · Saurolophus (2nd) · Lambeosaurus/magnicristatus (3rd)|
|Wind:||Carnotaurus (1st) · Megaraptor (2nd) · Allosaurus/atrox (3rd)|
|Other & Exclusive:||Acrocanthosaurus/Alpha · Chomp · Ace · Paris · Terry · Spiny · Tank · Saurophaganax · Tyrannosaurus/Black · Eocarcharia|
|Armored:||Chomp/Armor · Ace/Armor · Paris/Armor Terry/Armor · Spiny/Armor · Tank/Armor · Eocarcharia/Armor|